Thursday, February 23, 2006

I hate Hummers

with a passion. I really, really hate them. I'm not too wild about cars in general, especially in areas where they're not necessary (like Chicago or on campus here). But people who buy giant SUVs and Hummers tick me off big time. Hummers are also a wonderful way of advertising to everyone that you are seriously inadequately endowed. My dad told me about an article he read where people were just flipping off Hummers whenever they saw them. I generally only flip off excessively loud boom cars, but I might just start doing that.

In any case, I thought I would link to this site and press release about a hit and run accident involving a Hummer in Evanston last week. There is going to be a press conference tomorrow in Evanston with Bike Traffic. I really hope someone catches this guy and rips off his nuts.

Bike Traffic says that 160 pedestrians and bicyclists die annually in Chicago from these types of incidents. I had an acquaintance who was killed in Wicker Park last June when a truck broadsided her on her bike. In a society that is becoming increasingly self-centered and anti-social, I think it's easy for people to feel safe in their ginormous vehicles, shielded from the world by glass and metal, and that driving is sometimes like a video game to them. When they strike someone, I'm sure they panic and drive away, hoping they won't get caught.

Because communities are set up now for car driving, and because our urban and suburban areas are increasingly full of concrete graveyards that temporarily act like giant chain stores but will eventually become concrete graveyards again, people drive everywhere and don't interact with their fellow humans the same way they used to. Once upon a time, people would know their grocers and their mail-delivery people and their neighbors, because they'd actually have to INTERACT while completing transactions or walking down the street or whatever. Nowadays you have to pay to see a person at many banks. Our communities need to be better planned and need to start becoming more organic. We've created a monster of American society.

Oooh. And as if Cafepress can read my thoughts. I found this. Some of the shirts and things are pro-Hummer, but overall, it's pretty anti-Hummer. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home