Monday, February 20, 2006

the art of procrastination


I am far too talented....

Anyway, I needed to upload this photo because I personally think that this man is more deserving of the title Sexy, Sexy Man than Beckham. I am in love with Yul Brynner.

I know, I know. I have a fixation with dead film (and stage) actors. It's interesting to see how my taste changes as I get older, however. I mean, I will always love Laurence Olivier and Ray Milland but I find Yul infinitely more sexy now that I'm old.

Incidentally, I do have to say that The King and I, as well as the It's a Small World Ride in Disney World, interested me in South Asian music and culture. One of the reasons I was so captivated by the Javanese gamelan in college was because I retained a weird memory of the Hollywood perception of Siam in The King and I. However authentic or inauthentic it was, it hooked me for life.

Apparently, Yul Brynner was Swiss and Mongolian. I had always heard that after he shaved his head for the Broadway show, he liked it so well that he just kept it shaved for the rest of his life. He was also an anti-smoking advocate at the end of his life, explaining to the American public that smoking caused his fatal lung cancer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home