Wednesday, February 22, 2006

turning into a board


my class is so boring.

Yes, I am reading this book for Adult Popular Fiction. The cover of the one *I* have, however, is far more outrageous and grocery-store-novel-esque. I brought it to rehearsal last night, and boy was it a hit. I saw that a line from it said, "I did not come by spaceship; I came by longship." And my friend opened it up to a VERY graphic description of an erection.

I have PBS on while I'm listening to class and typing this, and the Queen has a shitload of Corgis. I knew she liked them, but I thought all those jokes about her dogs were just blowing it out of proportion. Apparently not.

I got April in Paris from the library and I LOVE it. Of course, every time I hear that song, I think of Blazing Saddles....

My fish is being weird again. I ordered him brine shrimp, anti-fungus stuff, sea salt, and some other stuff. I'm completely obsessed with getting him healthy. I think I need to put him in a bigger house.

A woman came into the library today (she's in the French dept.) and was looking for a dictionary of medieval Latin. While I looked, I explained to her that I have an undergraduate degree in medieval studies. She asked if I'd gotten it here, and I told her I'd gotten it at Smith College. Then she said, "Really? Do you know Eglal Doss-Quimby?" She was holding a book by Eglal on women troubadours. And, strangely, I had taken her Women Writers of the Middle Ages class when I was a first year, back in the Stone Age. What a coincidence.

Usually when I'm not on the East Coast, I have to explain what Smith and the Seven Sisters colleges (and sometimes even the Ivy League schools) are. There aren't a lot of us in Champaign or even Chicago (or Boulder or Denver). Although it hasn't been so bad since Mona Lisa Smile came out--even though I didn't see it. And that was Wellesley, not Smith. And probably not a terribly accurate representation of Seven Sisters life now (especially since two now accept men!).

In Non Sequiturville style, I should offhandedly note that I went to a Single Mingle in Chicago for part of the Ivy League Dinner Club (which included Seven Sisters grads) and whoa, nelly. There were a lot of very short, very weird men there. Not that I mind short men---but I must say that I heard the oddest thing ever at that party. I asked one guy (who was hitting on my married friend who had accompanied me) why shorter men don't approach or even seem to like taller women. OK, this is how he explained it: Basically, he insisted that short men are presumed by society to be inadequately endowed. He said that, similarly, tall women are presumed to be rather, um, loose in that region because it corresponds to their height. He finally just came out and said that short men would never go for me because they all assume that all tall women have cavernous vaginas. WHAT?????!!!!!!!! Yeah, I think he was a bit deranged..... (Incidentally, neither assumption about short men nor tall women happens to be true at all.)

On THAT note, I should sign off and pay attention to my unbearably boring class. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home