Wednesday, March 01, 2006

hilarious

Yesterday, my boss told us that he'd discovered one of P.D.Q. Bach's works, entitled Hansel and Gretel and Ted and Alice. I always forget how much I love Peter Schickele (P.D.Q. is his pseudonym--sort of). The CD also includes Toot Suite for Calliope, Four Hands and Erotica Variations for Banned Instruments and Piano. The titles are always enough to make any classically trained musician laugh, but the performances are also excellent.

My friend Tracy and I really got a kick of out P.D.Q. in college, where she had a copy of Two Pianos are Better than One, which also had a trio sonata on it for flute, tamborine, and tuba. Or something like that.

He is also the composer of The Stoned Guest, The Last Tango in Bayreuth, March of the Cute Little Wood Sprites, Fanfare for the Common Cold, Contrary Dances, and a Capriccio: La pucelle de New Orleans.

Anyway. I am very glad to be going to Der Rosenkavalier after all--after having the date set aside for her since the beginning of September, my prof. has decided she doesn't need me next Wednesday, and my other prof. let me know that a ticket was still available! So I get to see Susan Graham! Cross-dressing, here I come!

A. and I went out to Cowboy Monkey after all, and I saw a guy I'd emailed a year ago on Nerve. I paid the money to email him and he never responded. I checked out the competition, too, and I must say--he's an idiot if he really wanted to meet someone that way. I've seen him at Aroma and Boltini, too, and he always is staring at me. Fat chance, bozo. He seems all jive-turkey, anyway. Totally full of himself yet at the same time completely insecure. I did get hit on by a couple of guys, though, and while that sort of thing happens to other women all the time, it don't happen to me! I think I make myself pretty unapproachable. I'm perfectly used to getting noticed when I walk in a room, but I'm not exactly friendly, and on top of that, I'm tall and usually over-dressed. Which I like. :) So in the rare moments when a guy takes the risk to actually *approach* me and even puts up with my snobbishness, I'm somewhat impressed. Probably not impressed enough to go out with the guy if he calls, but whatev. I need someone who's a bit sophisticated, and maybe this guy is secretly, but I seriously doubt it.

The only sophisticated guy to my liking in this area at the moment, who is available, is a professional violinist. I've been interested in him for two years. He's blond (I *always* go for blondies) and one of the best musicians in the country. Plus he's not American. Major plus. He's very hard to stalk, however, especially since he's on tour almost all the time. I had at one point considered camping out in front of his office so I could ask him to coffee sometime. Maybe I'll get more of a chance to talk to him when he plays with us at the Biber Vespers. :)

In the meantime, I need to get healthy and get exercising again. It's been tough to do it, but I think I can start again tonight or tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart Peter Schickele!! My parents took me to see him live when he was little, and he apparently had this bit where he started out playing a bassoon, and throughout the piece little bits of it kept falling off until he was left playing only the mouthpiece. I was about four years old at the time and apparently so distraught about the destruction of the instrument that I actually burst into tears.

At that moment I also resolved to dedicate my life to playing the bassoon, and we all know how well that turned out.

3/02/2006 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home