Sunday, October 09, 2005

weepers

Amazingly I got out of bed and had time to see the last thirty minutes of Casablanca before church (which was hell, by the way. I think I need to quit that job).

I don't like to see movies in the theater often for a myriad of reasons, but one reason is that I don't like to admit that, well, sometimes some movies make me cry. I know, I know. It's pathetic.

Casablanca *always* makes me cry during that scene where Laszlo gets everyone to sing La Marseillaise and they overpower the Germans' patriotic song.

Other movie moments that make me weep:

Hope and Glory: London is being continually bombed by the Germans and the mother secures passage to Australia for her children. When she takes them to the train station she can't handle it and runs back into the line to take them back.

In America: Pretty much throughout the whole movie, but especially at the end. Strangely, though, it's not a cheesy weepy Irish movie--the guy who made it also made My Left Foot and In the Name of the Father (damn, that's a good one, too). It was a very good thing that I didn't see that in the theater. I'd have to wear a bag over my head for awhile if I had.

My two favorite movies in the world are High Noon and A Man for All Seasons. I have a list of about fifty favorites, but in the past year, those two have crept to the top of my list. I also only recently realized they are both directed by Fred Zinnemann. A Man for All Seasons makes me bawl when Sir Thomas last sees his family. I seriously need to buy that movie on DVD.

Although it's not a movie, there were quite a few times when Buffy made me cry. I think every Buffy fan cried when she died at the end of season five. One of the principal tenets of Buffy philosophy is that she is a character who carries the weight of the world on her shoulders and has to sacrfice everything because she is chosen, and in that moment, Buffy remembers that her blood is the same as her sister's and they'd thought all along that only her sister's blood could open a portal to another dimension, so in that split second, Buffy chooses to sacrifice herself to close the portal so that the worlds don't collide. It sounds crazy if you don't already know about it.

Hot damn, I'm such an INFP, it's not even funny. These musings certainly prove it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home