Thursday, January 05, 2006

som

Right now, on Will and Grace, they're showing the Sing Along Sound of Music. It's bringing back a lot of memories, because I went to that the first time it was in New York (that's when I lived there). There was nothing quite like it--and it's true that all the gay men in NYC are generally there.

One queen came in full wedding regalia, and he promenaded across the stage, in front of the screen, during the wedding sequence. A woman showed up as Fraulein something-or-other--the woman who wins third place in the Festival and keeps bowing. I don't think I've seen so many men in nuns' costumes in my life.

Interestingly enough, no one came dressed as a Nazi. That, in all aspects of Western society, is strictly verboten. I guess Prince Harry or his brother was a Nazi for Halloween once. The thing is, you're supposed to dress as the scariest thing for Halloween. Isn't a Nazi pretty scary?

The only person who could pull off Nazi costumes parading around, of course, was Mel Brooks. When he won the Tony for best musical, he whipped out a small comb, held it under his nose, and said, "I'd like to start off by thanking Hitler, for being such a funny guy on the stage."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home