Wednesday, November 30, 2005

thoughts for today

I share the same birthday with Woody Allen, Bette Midler, Richard Pryor, and Mary Martin. When I see good Woody Allen films (I've only seen a few, though) I realize how very much we have in common.

Some movie with Diane Keaton is on right now (Turner is celebrating his birthday--it's not Annie Hall, btw). Woody is flipping out and is going to have people over and can't decide what would be the most impressive music to play, so Diane suggests he puts on Oscar Peterson and put out the Bartok so everyone can see it. Classic.

I saw Hannah and her Sisters about a year ago--I'd seen it in the theater when it came out but I was about twelve and had no idea why anyone would find Michael Caine remotely sexy. But I love it now. It's a wonderful movie. All these couples in it love and care about each other but mess things up anyway. No one is stupid or clueless or malicious at all--they're just people. I think the whole movie is about love and how it can be misguided sometimes.

Woody and I are both totally paranoid and neurotic, and have fantasies about having big, happy families with big, happy family get-togethers over holidays. We share the same taste in music and the same reverence for the Marx Brothers. I wish we were friends.

Anyway. Mercury, by the way, can work wonders as well as disasters. Sometimes things just fall *together* when Mercury is in retrograde. My license expires tomorrow (it being my birthday) and it's a Colorado license. So I packed a backpack full of activities to do while camping out all afternoon today at the DMV. I went into the conservation lab this morning and a woman who works there told me that the DMV sets up an office on campus once a month. She thought it was the last Wednesday of each month. Well, this being the 30th and a Wednesday, that worked out nicely. Furthermore, I got interviewed by CBS and will probably be on the telly. I had to take the written test and missed SIX out of fifteen signs. Of course, I know what the fucking things are when things are written or drawn on them--these were blank yellow trapezoids and sideways triangles and stuff. Hello. How am I supposed to remember shapes?

1 Comments:

Blogger MacGuffin said...

Woody rocks. I saw a trailer for his new movie, and it looks not only great, but totally, totally different. Didn't even know it was his until they mentioned it at the end of the trailer. But I can't recall what it's called right now, as I was too busy pretending to be perfectly fine with the fact that the lovely woman I was with was about to start dating somebody who wasn't me. So my memory is a touch faulty on that point.

11/30/2005 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home