Wednesday, December 07, 2005

today's music thoughts

We started working on the Mozart Requiem today. Now of course, if you've ever seen Amadeus, you will never be able to listen to parts of that without thinking of Forman's film. I've only sung this requiem once before, and it's not a thrill to sing if you're an alto. Supposedly, sopranos love Mozart and altos love Brahms. Naturally.

However, I will always love that Confutatis and Lachrymosa. Those segments are played in Amadeus when he's dying and during his funeral. Pretty powerful stuff. When I was little, I thought that movie was an historical documentary. Hah! Regardless it's an excellent film.

I was very excited over break to find the versions of "Silhouettes" and "Sh-Boom" that I've been looking for for about, oh, fifteen years or so. We got a jukebox when I was about fourteen and we could buy 45s at a store in Boulder that sold them. I always loved "Silhouettes" but the version we got was Herman's Hermits and it sucked. The version I got of "Sh-Boom" was by the Sh Booms and it was quite different from the one I was looking for--that's the one in the movie Clue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home